Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Okay This is a Major Downer With an Upside. I Hope


Many of you who know me know my story. I'm joining the ride to conquer Cancer and I bet you know why. Next June I'll be riding a bike from Toronto to Niagara falls - just over 200 km. That means training and most likely a really sore butt. Please feel sorry for my butt!

My mom discovered a sarcoma in her leg when I was seventeen. She was a nurse and a fighter. She went through chemo and radiation and had two hip replacements and a femur replacement. I took nightschool for many subjects in grade 13 so I was able to drive her to radiation daily. Later during my last year at university I dropped down to part time so she could stay out of palliative care as long as possible. She developed tumors in her back, mouth and lungs so she decided to stop the three month checks. She had to go into Palliative care at St.Mikes and I stayed with her daily and I would study or make her watch videos of the Second world war (that I was studying at the time). I literally slept in her room on a cot for almost 5 ½ months. She had to have a treatment in Princess Margaret Hospital and one night she succumbed and fell into a coma and passed away at 5 am. She had fought and hung on until I was 22. She was pure sunshine and was my mentor and my everything.

Four years later I noticed a spot of blood on Dad’s shirt. It turned out to be phase 4 melanoma. He had it removed but didn’t tell us of the severity. Six months later I noticed his gait was uneven, his signature was different and I thought he might have had a minor stroke. It took hours of convincing to get him to St. Mikes. Twelve brain tumors. That night we were told he had days to six months. My big Dad passed three weeks later at Princess Margaret Hospital. He was my best friend.

I don’t know of a family that hasn’t been touched by cancer. I was so lucky to have been adopted at birth into this amazing family. I was lucky to have a great childhood and to have had great parents for a short time as opposed to lousy ones for a lifetime.

I want to make this ride count. Not just for my parents, Maureen and Michael, but for all families.

A donation of 5 dollars to 5000 dollars would be equally welcome as we need to eradicate this disease for all of us.

Kind regards to all and thanks for your time and I hope I haven't bummed you out.

Steph (or as my Dad nicknamed me - Boo Radley)

You can just google “The Ride To Conquer Cancer” and look up my name or Team Gridpath. Thanks guys - anything would be appreciated.

No comments: