Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Exclaiming! It's Killing me.

I was just looking through some old posts and have discovered that every post title ends in an exclamation point. Really! It was just exhausting reading them all. Really! I sound like a puppy on steroids. I profusely apologize and will try to tone it down. Actually I sound worse than a puppy. I sound like a cheerleader with a fuzzy pink sweater named Steffi! “If I were not a Kipling fan, one thing I would rather be. If I were not a Kipling fan – a big EXCLAIMER I would be!” (Remember that one old KCI friends? Now I can’t get that damn cheer out of my head.) Damn those pom-poms on the shoes, so precious in their preciousness weren’t they? Quick, someone find my old Treetorns – oh god, the 80’s just came back and hit me in the face. "Everything counts in large amounts" Oh god, there it is again! " She wanted to dance so I asked her to dance - and heaven knows I'm miserable now" STOP IT 1980's just go away and no one will get hurt! Save me from teenaged ennui!

Seriously wouldn’t you love to go back to highschool knowing what you know now? You could seriously put some asses in their place and not do stupid stuff like pretend you weren’t as smart as you were to boys and other nonsense. I let myself be pushed around by some mean girls and became self conscious and whatnot. But here’s the rub. Even though those girls thought they were all that and bag of chips they couldn’t change my opinion of them. Even though I was quiet on the outside they could never change the way I was on the inside. After volleyball practice I would storm out of the change room thinking, “ooooh you evil beeotch” Karma will bite you in the ass girls! (Lady’s now – we ARE turning FORTY!)

I just hope I can impart some of that knowledge to my kids but historically that is impossible. Your daughter will cry over some loser who didn’t ask her to dance and your son will become all quiet and weird because some teenaged emotional tragedy has occurred. (The boys won’t tell you though – only the girls).

My husband turned 40 on Monday. 40? Where did that come from? It will be my turn soon but I’m not freaked out about it at all. First of all, 40 is the new 30 don’t ya know? Also my 93 year old grandmother told me that 40 is the best age. You are young enough to have fun and old enough to know better. Due to certain circumstances I have lived through I have discovered to savor the moment. I have discovered that I now have the intestinal fortitude to speak my mind. A number of times I have been through the wringer, losing parents and so forth but have discovered a sense of self. I LOVE to read, to discuss current events and politics, and to be my geeky self and hustle people at Trivial Pursuit. I love to play, especially team sports like beach volleyball ( don't have the time now) and I love playing with my children. I also love getaways with my husband. I have also discovered that I really dislike ignorance and intolerance but my biggest dislike of all time is when people are unkind to one another. If everyone tried to be just a little nicer how great would that be?

Oh God, I’m lecturing now. I really am turning 40 dammit! When did I become a grownup? I put forth a motion now that we don’t become grownups until we are forty. I’ve got three months! I’d better get busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! We all learned from high school and the evil and unnecessary criticism we dished out. Lets hope that we never go there again, and that our children most definately will be the ONE that doesn't EVER do that !
I turn forty in about 3 weeks --
Happy birthday to Al (oops, what is his blog name again ?)
Kathy